The Spring Fire burned in May of 2013 around the LA-Ventura county line. I (briefly) visited La Jolla Canyon on 15 March 2014. 2013/2014 was a very dry year, but at the end of Feb/early March we got 4 inches of rain. I presume this encouraged the manroot to bloom.
I noticed the following plants regenerating:
- Common manroot — new plants, blooming vigorously
- Laurel Sumac — regeneration from rootstock, all over the place
- Manzanita (not sure which species) — regeneration from rootstock, one plant
- Elderberry — regeneration from rootstock, one plant
- Tree Tobacco — several plants, some blooming. Not sure if these were new or regenerated, there were no old stems, but perhaps they had burned to the ground?
- maybe Holly Leaved Cherry — one plant regenerating from rootstock, too small to be certain
- Many small forbs I couldn’t recognize
I didn’t see any chamise (there).